Saturday, October 1, 2011

Clark-o! (Polo!)

Clark, if you don't come out soon, we're coming in there to get you.

I met with my OBGYN on Friday. (Friday was my due date, FYI.) She's concerned that Clark is maybe too big. I'm going for an ultrasound on Monday to determine if Clark is happy and healthy and to see how big he is. From there we will decide what to do next: emergency baby removal if he's in distress; induce labor if he isn't too big; or plan a c-section if he is threatening to rip me a new one if we try to deliver out the lady parts. I'm scared. I'm sick of being pregnant, but I know now that this delivery probably won't be an easy one. I'd imagined that my second delivery would be easier and smoother than my first, but now that doesn't seem likely. I'm kind of emotional about the whole thing, and I just hope that it won't be as bad as I'm imagining.

My doctor said that I'm dilated 4 cm now. The only thing holding labor up is the baby. She said that maybe he's too big, or maybe he's not in the right position yet. Medical science isn't sure what makes labor start when it does, although the prevailing theory right now is that the baby has some input into that process. It's not just the mom's body that makes labor happen-- the baby is part of the feedback loops that get the whole thing going.

I'm having contractions like crazy. Still losing mucous. Bleeding, even. But no labor. What I imagine is happening is that my body is trying DESPERATELY to make labor start. It keeps sending out the signals to Clark. Contractions begin, my body gets everything ready. But for whatever reason, Clark isn't sending back his part of the signal that will officially start labor. So the contractions fade off and I get all disappointed. I don't know if that's really how it might work or not. That's just how I imagine it. That's what it feels like is going on.

No matter how it's SUPPOSED to work, it's not working for whatever reason and it looks like Clark will end up being forcibly removed from my uterus within the next few days. One way or another, my pregnancy will be over soon. I'll get to hold and kiss my son. And hopefully it will require a minimal number of stitches.

3 comments:

  1. My mentor in residency was a world-renown maternity researcher and taught us that c-sections shouldn't be performed if the baby is presumed to be too big to be delivered vaginally, because this is almost never true and ultrasounds are off on weight plus or minus one pound. The recommendation is for a trial of labor unless the baby is in obvious emergent distress. Hope this is useful info to try to avoid a c-section. Plus, being a couple days past your due date is normal, especially if there was some uncertainty in his due date at the beginning of pregnancy. You may only be 38 weeks pregnant. He's probably still cooking in there. My friend just delivered her second baby, who was 3 lbs heavier and 2 weeks later than her first, and the labor was much easier than the first. So stay hopeful that this could be easier and baby will arrive at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately my OB isn't all pro-c-section. I think she'll be very conservative in her recommendations tomorrow. With regard to his size, she seemed most concerned about there being enough fluid around the baby. The doctor mentioned c-section and that's what my scaredy-brain latched on to.

    My sister pushed for 3 hours before they decided to do a c-section for her baby. He couldn't get his head through her tiny pelvis. She went to the same practice that I go to-- so I imagine that they'll let me labor unless there's a really good reason not to.

    I wish they could do some Star Trek-style teleportation magic to get Clark out. Stupid medical science. Quit twiddling your thumbs and invent something worthwhile, would you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy also had low fluid throughout the 3rd trimester, but it wasn't the reason for his c-section. We did his c-section because he was breech and we couldn't get him to flip from the outside. I hope that you avoid a c-section so your recovery is faster.

    ReplyDelete