Monday, October 3, 2011

Ultrasound Results

The ultrasound tech and doctor estimate Clark's weight at 9 lbs 6 oz. Which means he could be anywhere between 8 lbs 7 oz and 10 lbs 5 oz.

Big baby.

Damn it.

He's bigger than 90% of all newborns. In fact, newborn clothes wont fit him. I don't have gestational diabetes. I'm not a big person at all. I didn't gain an excessive amount of weight during pregnancy. I just grew a giant baby for some reason.

I meet with my OBGYN this afternoon to decide what we're going to do. I've done some research before going in to talk, so I have lots of questions. But I know that the truth of the matter is this: there's no way to predict how labor and delivery might go if we try to do it vaginally. My body may do a great job of delivering a large baby. I might rip all to hell and need lots of repairs to my lady parts. Clark's shoulders might get stuck and he could even die if they can't get him out through my pelvis quickly enough. And of course, a c-section is major surgery. Vaginal delivery and c-section can both possibly lead to complications. There are risks to both me and the baby due to his size, and I'll have to figure out what is safest and best for both of us.

This sucks. I'm honestly mildly devastated at this point. I thought that my second delivery would be easier than my first. So much for my "easy" pregnancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment