Monday, March 4, 2013

Healthy Breakfasts

I've been on a little bit of a health kick lately. Nothing crazy. I'm not trying to do a complete overhaul of my lifestyle or anything-- I just want to make some small, permanent changes.

One thing that I've been working on is finding some healthy, natural breakfasts. Frozen waffles are sooooo tempting when I'm trying to get four kids ready and out the door in the mornings. But I know I can do better than that. I have three solid options so far.

#1) Scrambled eggs. I've added parsley to the eggs as well as basil, both of which the kids liked. Turns out parsley is really good for you, by the way.

#2) I went on a huge search for the healthiest, most natural boxed cereal I could find that the kids would eat. There are plenty of healthy breakfast cereals, but not many that the kids would take more than one or two bites of. I tried a few different kinds, and ultimately got lucky with Cascadian Farm organic Honey Nut O's. They're like Honey Nut Cheerios, but healthier. And more expensive. Of course.

#3) Smoothies! Here's the recipe that we tried last weekend and the kids loved:


  • 1 1/4 cups orange juice
  • 1 ripe medium banana, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
  • 1/2 cup silken tofu
  • 2 ice cubes, crushed

Just blend it up. Add sugar if you want, but we didn't think it needed it. We used raspberries this time, but I think that next time I make it I'll use raspberries and blueberries. This recipe makes 3 servings. Here's the link to the original: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/banana_berry_smoothie.html

2 comments:

  1. I am also always looking for good breakfasts that have tons of protein and complex carbs to last us until snack time. Yes, I said us. Andy and I both have snacks mid-morning.

    Chives and black pepper are also very nice on eggs. Yum!

    Multigrain cheerios are yummy. Have the kids tried those?

    I make a big batch of steel cut oats once a week and refrigerate them. In the morning, just scoop some into a bowl, add some frozen berries and microwave for 2 minutes. Then add whole milk to cool it off. Or make it with brown sugar and pecans and milk (my favorite). Have some yogurt on the side (I alternate whether I put the fruit in the oats or the yogurt). Very yummy!

    Whole wheat toast covered in peanut butter and banana slices. I usually do this in addition to cereal because cereal alone doesn't keep you full for long.



    ReplyDelete
  2. We like banana, peanut butter, and honey sandwiches for lunch. One of my favorite treats ever!

    The kids have had Multigrain Cheerios. They like them okay, but they eat better when the honey flavor is on their cereal, and Honey Nut Cheerios isn't as healthy as the Cascadian Farm version.

    I was going to try some steel cut oats next! I found a crock pot recipe for apple cinnamon oatmeal that looks delicious and sounds like it will smell amazing while it's cooking. We have a crock pot with a timer, so if this is a recipe that I can cook while we sleep (it's supposed to take about 7 hours), then I'll be super happy.

    ReplyDelete