Monday, December 12, 2011

Big Baby and Big Talker

We're adjusting our life insurance coverage (because that's what you do when you have lots of kids) and today we had a nurse at our house as part of that process. After I picked Clark up from his swing and the nurse got a good look at him she said, "You said he's only two months old? He's kind of big, isn't he?" Yes, yes. Thank you for stating the obvious. She asked how long he was when he was born. I told her. "My son was 22 inches when he was born. And he's 6'5" now!" I wonder if Clark will be tall, too.

Elise was talking and talking while the nurse was here. Finally the nurse asked, "How old is she?" 21 months, I told her. "That's just great. She's a good talker. She'll be reading soon!" I don't know about THAT... but Elise is quite the chatterbox.

Elise does memorize books and recite them back fairly well. Her favorite right now is "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?" She says, "Bown bear, bown bear do do you see?" After I read her a book 2 or 3 times in a row and I'm sick of reading it but she asks "again?" I tell her "You read it to me." She gives it a try.

4 comments:

  1. Mikey does this but he gets stuck on one or two words. And trying to decipher what he's saying sometimes has gotten to be the norm. So much so that he will repeat a word over and over until I exclaim "OOooohhhh giraffe!" which he has then adopted into his own speech. "Giraffe. OHHHHH giraffe" which is very funny when he's talking to himself.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to read Andy Brown Bear Brown Bear or Panda Bear Panda Bear (he knows all the animals in both) and purposely say an animal name wrong. Then he'll correct us. He also has his own names for all his books. Some of them are harder to understand than others. Last night he insisted that I find "tween," which, as it turned out, was Head to Toes and In Between. He likes to sing Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes and the ABC song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie-- Elise is sort of doing that same silly parroting thing for "yes." She says "no" so often that Husband and I have made a huge effort to get her to say yes. We nod our heads in this big, exaggerated motion and say, "yeeeeEEEEEEeeeesssss." Now whenever she says yes she copies the way we do it. Makes me realize how silly we look.

    Jen-- This is Elise's ABC song right now: A B C D E F G H I J K L M no no P Q R S T U V W X Y and Z now I know my E F G H I J K L...

    It's the song that never ends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim was a long baby, too. They called him string bean. Watch out!

    ReplyDelete