Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cervical Answers

So, I noticed the other day that my cervix feels different. I figured that there's probably nothing WRONG with it, since I just got an exam at my OBGYN's office and the midwife specifically said, "Great! Everything's back in place where it should be and healing just fine." But as I mentioned before with regard to my lady parts, there's a new "normal" after you have a baby.

So a quick Google search revealed that a woman's cervix IS different after a vaginal birth. Before birth, the opening of the cervix is a little round hole. After birth, it's a slit. Who knew?!

Seriously, why isn't there a chart or a spread sheet that they give pregnant ladies listing all of the changes that will happen to their bodies because of pregnancy and delivery? Dear pregnant lady, don't be surprised if you permanently go up a shoe size, if you never lose that last 5 pounds, if your hoo-hoo looks different, if your cervix has changed shape..."

Actually, the midwife did say one thing about my cervix as she was performing the pap smear during my exam last Tuesday. She said that my cervix was off to one side now. "Really? Will it stay like that?" I asked. "Maybe. But it's no big deal if it does. It won't effect your ability to get pregnant or have another vaginal delivery."

Gee, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment