Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cast

Henry got a cast put on his arm today. While he was in the hospital, the doctors did a full body scan with x-rays since they suspected he'd been abused. Sure enough, they found he had a broken arm. He had a temporary cast on while he was in the hospital, and today we went and got him a real cast.

I took Elise with us. Me, Henry, and Elise.

Elise and Henry took turns fussing and whining in the waiting room. People were giving me annoyed looks. Whatever. Believe me, if babies came with off buttons, I'd have turned the noise off. Not an option, grumpy old lady who is glaring at me over the rims of her ugly glasses.

Then once we got in the back, Henry was scared of every person he met and everything that was going on. He had to get more x-rays done. Didn't like that. And once the doctor came in, he kind of lost it. The doctor had actually seen him while he was in the hospital and I think Henry remembered that and it stressed him out.

Henry ended up with a red cast. I've never broken an arm or a leg, so that was the first time I've seen a cast put on.

He's pretty annoyed by the cast. He keeps trying to pull it off. He should be getting it off in three weeks, though. I can't wait to see how they cut them off!

1 comment:

  1. They use a saw. It is loud and scary for kids. But here is a video of a brave little boy getting his red cast off. I don't know if Henry is old enough to watch this and understand what will happen when he goes to the doctor, but it will prepare you for what it will look like so you can show Henry how calm and confident (and unsurprised) you are when you are there with him to get it off.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxoS3MuWhSQ

    ReplyDelete