Thursday, April 21, 2011

Baby Lady Parts

I thought recently that Elise had a bad case of diaper rash.

A few weeks ago, she woke up one morning with a poopy diaper. She doesn't usually have a bowel movement in the middle of the night, so there's really no telling when it happened or for how long her diaper was dirty. I changed her and noticed that around her little girl parts, there was some redness and tiny little bumps. I put Desitin on her.

For the next two weeks, I kept her super, super clean and made sure she always had diaper rash cream on. The rash would get better sometimes, but never completely go away and it would always flare back up again.

Finally I called the doctor.

Turns out that those little bumps mean that she has a yeast infection of her skin. Not like a lady yeast infection. Just on the skin. Which is apparently not uncommon in diapered babies. You use Lotrimin to treat it, just like jock itch or ring worm.

Elise has had very few diaper rashes, and they were always gone within a diaper change or two, so I didn't really know that there was a difference between what I was seeing and a regular diaper rash. Poor Elisey.

I'm supposed to put the Lotrimin on her for 7 to 10 days, twice a day, and that should clear it up. I've applied it about 3 times now, and her rash is already looking better.

No comments:

Post a Comment