Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day Tears

When we refer to any of the kids' relationships to one another, we just say brother or sister. If we want Elise to hold Henry's hand, we say "hold your brother's hand." We don't say foster brother or foster sister because they really aren't old enough to understand what that means, and anyhow, they've grown up together so they're about as sibling-ish as you can get without the official legal status. There's no talk of "maybe someday Georgia will live with us forever" or "maybe Henry will be your real brother" or anything like that. But still, I think that the kids know somehow that everything isn't perfectly settled in their family life.

Today as I was tucking Elise in for her nap, she wrapped her arms around my neck, looked at my face, and sweetly asked, "Georgia be my sister?"

"Hmm?"

"Georgia be my sister?"

"Do you want her to be?"

Smile. "Yes. I do."

"I want that, too."

Mommy tears. I didn't let Elise know that I was crying, but I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment