Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Disposable vs Washable Nursing Pads

I tried disposable nursing pads for the first time today. There were a couple of them in the "bringing home baby" package that the hospital gave us after Clark was born. I've been using washable cloth nursing pads since I had Elise, figuring it was worth the little bit of extra hassle in order to save some money. My boobs leak like a faucet sometimes. They've definitely leaked through the cloth nursing pads on a few occasions.

Disposable nursing pads have plastic-y backs so you can't leak through them. They also have sticky stuff to help hold them in place in your bra. HOWEVER, the nursing pads didn't really seem to stay put. After unlatching and latching my bra a few times, the nursing pads were crumpled up and sticking to themselves rather than my underclothes. Plastic backing or not, if the pad doesn't stay put in front of my leaky nipples, then there's no point in wearing the nursing pad. Even though the cloth ones don't have stickiness, they seem to stay in place for me.

I'm sticking with the cloth washable nursing pads. There wasn't enough benefit to the disposable ones for me to want to switch.

2 comments:

  1. Which brand did you try? I tried a free sample of Medela, which were terrible. But the Lansinoh brand worked great for me. I even have some leftovers if you want them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure what brand. i do hope there's stuff out there that's better than whatever i tried! i like the washable ones, though. they've worked just fine and i feel like i'm making less waste.

    ReplyDelete