Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Children's Books

Today I read Elise "The Tawny Scrawny Lion." I had a copy of the book when I was little and I bought one for Elise because I remembered liking the story.

This book, by the way, may have been one of many small contributing factors to my eventual decision to become a vegetarian. In the story, a lion who eats other animals but is always hungry ends up at a bunny rabbit's house and is ultimately satisfied when he fills up on carrot stew. So he doesn't have to eat the other animals anymore. And everyone's happy.

I also think that the movie "Charlotte's Web" influenced my decision not to eat meat. That part where the girl pleads with her father not to kill the runt piggie broke my heart every time I saw that movie. I was very sensitive to the plight of anthropomorphized animals while I was growing up.

Anyhow, I've noticed that I do this thing when I'm looking for books or movies for my kiddies. I see something from my childhood and say, "Oh! I had this when I was little. Its very good. We should get it." Why would the stories from my childhood be any better than the stuff they have now?

Because they ARE, dammit! Dora the Explorer has got NOTHING on old school Sesame Street. Or Mr. Rogers (who was a vegetarian, by the way).

Oh, Elise. I hope you enjoy "The Tawny Scrawny Lion" as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment