Sunday, June 27, 2010

Unswaddled

Elise slept unswaddled last night. She fell asleep before I swaddled her and I figured I'd just put her in her bassinet and see how long she'd sleep. She slept through the night.

I'm glad that she doesn't need swaddling anymore, because now that she can roll onto her belly I was getting nervous that she would loosen her swaddling blanket and then turn into it, suffocating herself.

As I was falling asleep last night, I wondered if I would like how it feels to be swaddled, now, as an adult. Would I enjoy being wrapped tightly in a blanket? Would I feel safe and secure? Or would I feel confined?

I'd probably feel like a patient in a mental hospital. Like, an old-time mental hospital. Straight jackets and lobotomies and Nurse Ratched type mental hospital.

Maybe that's why Elise doesn't want to be swaddled anymore. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" hit a little too close to home for Baby Baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment