Thursday, June 17, 2010

Oh yeah-- Peeing My Pants

I'd almost forgotten about that, but now that my sister is preggers, I want to be sure to mention it.

I never peed myself while I was pregnant, thank goodness. Elise was mostly kind to my bladder. AFTER she was born, however...

About two weeks after Elise was born, I came down with a cough. This totally annoyed me for two reasons. One, I had taken a butt-load of antibiotics in the hospital, so I felt like I shouldn't have a single germ even look at me sideways for at least a month. Two, every time I'd cough hard, I'd pee a little.

It sucked.

I was still wearing pads for the post-baby bleeding so it was never a BIG deal. But it felt embarrassing nonetheless. And I was like "what were all of those Kegal exercise for if I'm still going to pee myself?!" I was afraid that I'd pee myself forever. That I'd never fully regain control of my ability to NOT pee.

Not so. My body just needed a little time to heal. I'd just pushed a human being out of my lady parts, after all. My body was basically still in shock from the waist down, as far as I can tell.

I even mentioned it to my midwife at my six week post-partum checkup. She was like "yeah, that goes away." It's totally normal and not a big deal to the medical professionals. But when all of a sudden you're peeing your pants every time you cough, it sure FEELS like a big deal. I cried about it more than once.

But, yeah. It goes away. Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment