Friday, July 16, 2010

The Baby In the Mirror

Elise LOOOOVES seeing herself in the mirror. She smiles and coos and reaches for herself. If she's a little bit fussy, a trip to the mirror cheers her right up. Not full-blown crying. Even Mirror Baby can't fix that. But Mirror Baby temporarily cures Cranky Elise.

I wonder if she knows that she's seeing herself. She doesn't get so excited when she sees other babies in real life. And she knows what I look like. She must realize that she's seeing me in the mirror. Who does she think Mirror Baby is?

I know that scientists do experiments where they'll put a mark of paint on an animal somewhere that can only be seen with a mirror. If the animal tries to clean its own body (instead of trying to clean the animal in the mirror), then they assume that the marked animal realizes that it's looking at a reflection and not another animal. But I don't think that would work on Elise, since she doesn't try to clean herself. Unless the whole reason she keeps putting her hands in her mouth is because she's more like an OCD kitty cat than a teething baby. But I doubt that.

We love Mirror Baby!

1 comment:

  1. Andy loves mirrors too! We have mirrored closet doors downstairs. When we walk by, we always say hello to our reflections. The other day I made some silly noise and smiled at Andy in the mirror and he smiled back at me in the mirror. It was great.

    ReplyDelete