Friday, July 23, 2010

Swaddling Ban

The other night, Elise tried to roll over in her bassinet. She got caught against the side, which fortunately is made of mesh. Her face was pressed into the side, her head was cocked back funny, she was tilted at an angle, and she started screaming. It scared me. And made me very glad that I don't have a bumper or pillow or other fluffy thing along the side of Elise's bed.

So that's it. No more swaddling. Period. I don't want to wake up one morning to see a blanket wrapped around Elise's head. Sometimes she gets her swaddling blanket undone, and now that she rolls around in her bed, I think it's too dangerous to keep swaddling her.

She doesn't sleep as well unswaddled. But she'll just have to get used to it.

I read this thing about SIDS and a study that was done referred to the time that the babies died as their "last sleep," which just about kills me. The first time I read that, my eyes filled with tears.

No more swaddling.

1 comment:

  1. We stopped swaddling the night Andy got out of his swaddle and pulled the blanket over his head. He was 2 or 3 weeks old. But he doesn't seem to miss it.

    ReplyDelete