Sunday, January 15, 2012

Baby Classes

We have all of the big kids in classes right now. Elise takes music class, Georgia takes dance class, and Henry takes gymnastics. They love their classes. I want to expose them to new experiences, new concepts, and I also want them to have some time to do something cool that's their own special thing. Husband takes Henry and Georgia to their classes and I take Elise to hers.

It's hard to tell at their age exactly what they're learning. Just the very most basic basics. Sometimes you see a biography about someone famous for their skill and it'll say, "She's been playing golf since she was two years old..." or whatever and part of me thinks it's cool. But the other part of me wonders if that kid was forced into sticking with something they really didn't want to do. I don't want to be the kind of parent that forces their kid to practice violin for 3 hours every day just so they can be the star of their middle school orchestra. But I do want my children to learn that putting in the work to learn how to do something will yield rewards-- not everything comes naturally and sometimes you just have to practice, practice, practice. I'm not very good at knowing that. If I can't do something right the first time, I'm very prone to giving up. Maybe I can help my children avoid having that personality defect.

Clap to the beat, Elise! Dance with airplane arms, Georgia! Walk like a crab, Henry! Hopefully you'll be better people for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment