Monday, January 23, 2012

IUD Update

Still not pregnant. So far so good.

For about 12 days after the IUD was inserted I had some bleeding. Not as heavy as a period but more blood than just a little bit of spotting. I called my OBGYN's office and the nurse said that so long as I wasn't soaking through a maxipad or having a lot of cramps, it was okay. Some spotting is common. I'd classify my condition as "light and constant bleeding" rather than spotting, but whatever. I decided to give it a few more days and fortunately the bleeding stopped.

I've had some minor spotting a couple of times since then. Apparently spotting within the first 3 months after the device is inserted is normal.

Overall, though, (assuming I never get pregnant again) I'm totally happy with my IUD.

I keep having dreams about being pregnant. I think it's because I've never before used a form of birth control that didn't require me to actively plan its use. You have to buy condoms, you have to take pills, you have to chart the calendar method. Now I don't have to think about any of that. But my brain is like, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! You can't just have sex without thinking about your birth control! You're probably pregnant already, you dummy!"

So. Cons: cost a fair chunk of change up front, caused a little bit of bleeding, and caused stress dreams. Pros: no more pregnancies, no more babies, no more stretchmarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment