Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sun Damage But No Skin Cancer

As fair-skinned as I am, and for as many blistering sunburns as I've had in my life, I probably shouldn't have waited so long to see a dermatologist. I went to one today to get a routine checkup. I figured it was time, and Husband was encouraging me to go.

Everything checked out okay. So far so good, anyway. The nurse practitioner that I saw asked me at one point if I had any spots that I was concerned about and wanted her to look at specifically.  I said, "No. Not yet, anyway." She said, "Yeah. Not YET. As fair as you are, definitely not YET." Then we both laughed. I'm not sure why I laughed, in retrospect.

Ha ha! Skin cancer!

Well, I have some sun damage that I can get zapped with a laser if I'm ever rich and exceedingly vain. I definitely have better ways to spend my money right now. Also, the nurse recommended that I put this cream on my nose that's supposed to kill pre-cancerous cells (mostly as a precaution) based on some information that I gave her. I can't use the cream right now, though, because I'm still breastfeeding. The nurse said that I should probably get annual checkups with a dermatologist, so maybe I'll get the cream next year.

I think that one of my grandfathers had skin cancer at some point in his life. That's probably a genetic strike against me.

Ha ha... skin cancer...

No comments:

Post a Comment