Saturday, January 5, 2013

Well, Scratch the Prevacid

I gave Elise some Prevacid last night before bed, per a nurse practitioner's orders. She's two years old and I was told to give her one 15mg pill. Elise woke up a few hours after bedtime, puked (so much for helping her nausea), and then scratched her body like crazy. Her torso, head, face, arms, legs... everything itched. There was no visible rash or hives, but her skin was all red from the scratching. Husband eventually gave Elise some Benadryl to stop the itching.

I called a nurse today, and as I suspected would be the case, was advised that Elise might be allergic to the medication and that I should discontinue using it. Poor Elisey. I tried to help her, but the medicine I gave her made her feel worse. I don't think that Prevacid is one of those drugs that commonly has side effects, but the nurse said that it's possible for a person to have a reaction to any medicine, so I guess Elise is just one of the unlucky few who can't take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment