Saturday, November 17, 2012

Stuffins

If my house were to catch fire and I was able to get all of the people out, then all of the animals out, and STILL have time to safely run inside and retrieve some personal possessions, I would first save the teddy bear that I've had since I was a teeny baby. A brown teddy with arms and legs that move. His name is Radar, which is the name of Big Bird's teddy bear, in case you didn't know.

When I die, no one will care about that stupid bear. I know this. It isn't a potential heirloom. It's not some lovely piece of jewelry or a handmade quilt. It's a dirty old teddy bear. But it's mine and I love it and it's the 10th thing I would pull out of a burning house, if it ever came to that.

So today Husband and I got the kids some "now we're a family" stuffed animals. Toys to commemorate the occasion of Henry and Georgia's adoption. As someone who still has a stinky old teddy bear from her babyhood, you can see why this was significant to me.

Henry picked out a monkey. He really likes monkeys lately. He already has two sock monkeys and another monkey stuffed animal, and he chose to add to his monkey troop. Elise got a blue teddy bear with white stars. Blue is Elise's favorite color. Georgia picked out a toy that I mistook for a cat but is apparently a dog... however, she thinks it's a cat, too, and that's why she liked it, so a cat it is. It has a pink collar and long eyelashes-- very girly. Clark picked out a polar bear. AKA, a rawr.

I don't know if these toys will survive the kids' childhoods, much less make it to the homes they live in as adults... but just in case they grow up to be stuffed animal loving dorks like their momma, they will have special "we're a family" toys to treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment