Wednesday, March 17, 2010

And Then My Water Broke

So, last Monday night we went to the hospital around 8:00 pm to see if I was in labor, and although I was having contractions they weren't effective enough to dilate my cervix and count as real labor. I was sent home.

Husband and I got into bed that night by about 11:00. At 12:45, I woke up to pee. I went to the bathroom and then laid back down in bed. As I did, I felt a something warm leak from between my legs. "Must just be some blood" I thought, as I was bleeding more during the day on Monday.

Then I felt it again. I realized that I'd better check it out. Just as I made it to the toilet, a steady trickle of white-ish/clear-ish fluid formed.

Okay. I'm not peeing. I couldn't stop the stream the way you can with pee.

"Husband! I think my water broke!"

He was up out of bed and in the bathroom right away.

"Smell this. Is it pee? It can't be."

I'd heard that amniotic fluid smells sweet, but we couldn't tell. Either way, it wasn't pee and I was still leaking so we knew it was time to go to the hospital.

We outlined a quick plan of action. First, we will get dressed. Then, Husband will put our packed bags in the car, I'll pack a bag for Foster Son (who will stay with relatives for a few days), Husband will get Foster Son in the car, I will put down food for the cats, and then we leave.

It took us about 15 minutes to get out the door. I soaked through two pads during that time, so as we left I grabbed a towel to sit on in the car. I needed it, too, because on the way to the hospital, I leaked through my jeans.

It was exciting to know that we were going to the hospital for REAL this time. And that we would get to meet Elise soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you made him smell it. We absolutely did the same thing!

    I, too, used a towel. Knowing I was going to scrapbook the whole experience, I decided the towel wasn't necessary to bring home and recycle into our towel inventory. Hope you did the same.

    ReplyDelete