Sunday, November 14, 2010

Baby's First Parsnips

I made Elise some parsnips tonight. Peeled them, sliced them, steamed them, then put them in the blender, just like carrots. She liked them.

I must admit I've never been an eater of parsnips. I'm sure I've had them cooked in dishes, but my family never had roasted parsnips with dinner when I was little or anything. I hated cooked carrots when I was a kid... have I mentioned that? Spinach, brussels sprouts, broccoli-- I'd eat all of that stuff. But cooked carrots grossed me out. I can eat them now if they aren't too soggy. I like a bit of crunch left in them.

Anyway, I read that the ancient Romans thought parsnips to be aphrodisiacs. Hope that worked out for them. Elise seemed uneffected.

2 comments:

  1. Do they taste good? I've never tried them, let alone cooked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very carrot-like. But they're supposed to have more nutrients than carrots. I guess they're a little sweeter. They seem to have a stronger flavor to me than carrots do... but if I was in a blind taste test, I'd definitely say "carrot" if someone fed me a parsnip. I'm thinking about trying to roast them and see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete