Wednesday, April 18, 2012

1940 Census

The results of the 1940 census are now available online. I know you've all been waiting for them to be released. Genealogy nerds.

I found family on both my mother's and my father's side. Pretty cool. There were some interesting tidbits of information in the answers to the questions that the census-takers asked of my family. For example, my grandparents rented their suburban home for a whopping $50 per month in 1940. And that was one of the pricier homes in the neighborhood.

Of course, lover of names that I am, I browsed around. Found some cool ones. Cole Cole. Olive Almond. Brown Freeman. A lady named Edgar Mae. A man whose first name was Mt. Vernon. I love it.

The link to the 1940 census is here

You kind of need to know the street name where the person you're looking for lived at the time. You can't look people up by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment