Friday, April 27, 2012

Baby Girls' Hair-- Combs

My girls' hair is on two different ends of the texture spectrum. Elise's hair is straight, thin, and fine. Georgia's hair is kinky and coarse. I'm just now figuring out that I can't use the same tools and products on both of their hair. This is a big revelation for me because, as I've mentioned before, I've hardly ever given much thought to styling hair, including even my own hair. Other than to dye my hair bright colors during my late teens and early 20s... but that was less about hair and more about asserting control over my own body and advertizing my independence. How did I go from "screw you, status quo! I'm in art school-- now I'm going to draw pictures of all of society's failings!" to passing my state's bar exam and then quitting my job to raise a pile of children all in less than 10 years? It was a slippery slope, indeed.

I digress.

Anyhow, hair.

Georgia's mom gave her this little baby hair brush set a while ago. A brush with bristles so soft that it had zero effect on Georgia's hair and a comb with lots of tiny little teeth. I should have realized that if the brush was not right for her hair, maybe the comb wasn't right for her hair either. But I assumed the opposite. "Oh, this must be the kind of comb you use on coarse, curly hair," I thought. I have hairs fall out when I brush my own hair, so I assumed that the little hairs that would come out when I combed Georgia's hair were totally normal.

Nope! I was damaging her hair. Breaking it. Within the past month I discovered that I should be using a wide-toothed comb on Georgia's hair. Coarse and kinky hair like hers is very fragile and it easily snags and breaks. Elise's wispy little hairs need a comb with narrow teeth, but Georgia's hair needs a comb that can gently detangle it.

So now we have Elisey combs and Gigi combs. The big comb works so much better on Georgia's hair. Glad we got that figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment