Friday, October 9, 2009

Baby, Can You Hear Me?

The baby's ear bones are now in place. So maybe it can hear me when I talk and sing! (And cry and say cuss words and have sex...)

The article that I was reading about the ear bones said to start thinking of your lullaby selection now, because studies show that babies recognize the songs that their mothers sang to them when they were still in the womb. That got me thinking. What songs do I sing a lot? Husband and I sing the Witch Doctor song (by Alvin and the Chipmunks) with Foster Son every few days. Also, when foster son starts complaining "I want, I want" we sing You Can't Always Get What You Want (by the Rolling Stones). Foster Son knows that song quite well. We sing Day-O (the banana song) or Our House (by Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young) if Foster Son asks where we're going and we're on our way back home.

Also, a lot of times I'll hear a word that will remind me of a song, so I'll start singing it. For example, Foster Son might say, "I like trains," and next thing I know I'm singing Folsom Prison Blues. I don't know if the words "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die" are lullaby material, though.

Perhaps I should update my repertoire.

2 comments:

  1. my dad used to sing that rolling stones song to me all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha!

    today, when Foster Son was supposed to be taking a nap i heard him talking. i walked into the room and his back was to the door. he was telling his teddy bear, "you cant always get what you want! you cant always get what you want!"

    i tiptoed back out of the room.

    ReplyDelete