Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Not Everyone Enjoys Pregnancy

A coworker told me yesterday that labor was easy for her because she hated being pregnant and when the labor started she was so relieved to have a clear end in sight. She said that having a goal to work toward and knowing that her discomfort would be over soon made the actual labor the easy part of pregnancy for her.

It was nice to hear someone speak honestly about not enjoying their pregnancy. Being pregnant is hard work, and while I'm sure that a lot of women honestly enjoy being pregnant, I think it's perfectly normal to dislike the experience, too. Women shouldn't be made to feel bad or less womanly for saying that pregnancy was a bad time in their life.

I can understand what my coworker was saying about being glad that there was an end in sight. When my bad morning sickness started, before I got the anti-nausea medicine, I would just cry and cry because I didn't know if it would last a few weeks or a few months or all 9 months. At least when you have a stomach virus, you know that you'll be better within a week or so. But I was throwing up everything I ate, I was SO hungry, and I had no idea if I'd get to eat a decent meal and keep it down anytime before the baby was born. It was very upsetting. Thank goodness for my medicine, or I might have ended up not only dehydrated and under-nourished, but very depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment