Friday, October 2, 2009

Silly Men

I've had several men say to me when they've found out that I'm pregnant, "Oh, your life is about to change!" They go on to tell me that when the baby arrives I'll have to get up in the middle of the night, that my time will no longer be my own, that everything will be on the baby's schedule.

It makes me laugh inside. It becomes obvious in that moment that many men have not even the faintest idea what it's like to be pregnant. I already wake up repeatedly in the middle of the night. I have to plan what I'll eat, when I eat, how I dress, how long I go places all based on my body's reaction to the baby. I sleep when the baby in my body demands it. I pee 100 times a day to keep my body clean for the baby. I am very much on baby's schedule already.

As a foster parent, I know that dealing with a baby outside of your body presents new challenges as compared to a baby still growing inside your body. But my life will change WHEN THE BABY GETS HERE? My life has changed now.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment