Monday, May 9, 2011

Elisey Want a Cracker?

Elise keeps blowing my mind with all of her copycat behavior and cool new things that she does every day. She's having this little communication explosion and I love it.

Elise has been nodding "yes" for over a week now. And she seems to be doing it in context. She only does it when I ask her a question, and she never nods yes but then acts like what she meant was to say no. I'll say, "Do you want your sippy cup?" Nod, nod, nod. And she takes it. "Do you want to help Mommy feed the kitty cats?" Nod, nod, nod. And she follows me to the kitchen.

She shakes her head no, too. I really think she understands and uses the gestures appropriately. "Want another bite of waffle?" Shake, shake, shake. And even if I put a piece of waffle in front of her, she doesn't take it.

Also, Elise is still picking out a "word of the day" every day. Did you ever watch the tv show Peewee's Playhouse? He'd have a secret word of the day and every time someone said that word, everyone in the playhouse was supposed to scream. Elise is sort of like that. Except she doesn't scream, she just then repeats the word 8 million times in a row. The other day, the word was elbow. Today it is bagel. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Elise is really into parts of the face now. She says "nose" when she points to her nose or someone else's and the same with "eye." She says "muh" for mouth and I think that counts, since I know what she's saying. Maybe we'll work on saying "ear" next.

So... if she could just put some words together then we could make cool sentence fragments like "purple spider nose" or "yellow apple bagel." I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment