Friday, May 6, 2011

Names!

The Social Security Administration came out today with the list of top 1000 baby names for 2010. Very exciting for me. Like Christmas in May. I love it. I love names.

Of course, it's really more like the top 500-or-so unique and separate names, as people are either ignorant of the proper spelling of their child's name or are choosing deliberately not to spell the name correctly. So a name such as David might be on the list also as Dayvid, Daveid, and D'vid. And how enough people all across the country came up with the same misspelling in the same year for the same baby name to make the list is sometimes beyond me. Because it's not like EVERY baby name is listed. I mean, how many people have to name their daughter Maddysen (or whatever) before it makes the list?

Anyhow, Elise is up several spots from its 2009 position. Don't know how I feel about that.

And of course I checked on the names we're considering for Dinky. The boy name is solidly in the top 100. The girl name, however, isn't in the top 1000 at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment