Friday, November 6, 2009

Another Movie With A Pregnant Character

Husband and I watched "Lars and the Real Girl" a couple of nights ago. One of the main characters is pregnant.

The pregnancy is relevant to the plot, but it isn't a huge part of what's going on. There's no dramatic labor scene, no baby at the end of the movie. I was glad for that. I liked that the pregnancy was just a normal part of what was going on, sort of like in " Fargo."

If I were still in school I would write a paper on the treatment of pregnancy in dark comedy movies. Having done no research, other than watching "Fargo" and "Lars and the Real Girl," I would argue that while many of the events that take place in dark comedies seem extraordinary, thus creating the comedic situation, pregnancy is often treated as a completely normal and almost unremarkable situation. This is contrary to other genres of moviemaking, where the fact that a character is pregnant often gets a lot of attention or the aspects of pregnancy are exaggerated for the sake of comic relief.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Like I said, I'm basing this on two movies.

3 comments:

  1. write the paper anyway!

    i've always wanted to write a paper on male sexual anxiety brought on by technology and the rise of women in the workplace using stupid 80's movies like "Disclosure" as references. I've never had the occasion. But I am totally going to do it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're nerds. we make up imaginary college-level homework for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also both movies take place somewhere where it snows.

    ReplyDelete