Thursday, November 5, 2009

More Blood, Another Doctor's Visit

Yesterday right before lunch, I went to the bathroom to pee. When I was done, I wiped myself and there was this mess of brown blood and mucous. I sighed deeply. Not this again. Then I wiped myself a second time and there was bright red blood.

Last time I had bright red blood there was a reason, you'll recall. This time the blood seemed to have happened completely unprovoked. I called my OBGYN's office.

"Hi. I think I just need someone to reassure me that this is no big deal..." I said, and then explained the situation. "You need to come in. Right away, okay?" the nurse tells me.

So then I REALLY freak out.

Husband drove me to the OBGYN's. We were both scared.

We got to see the same midwife that I saw on my last visit. She's so nice and reassuring.

First she used the Doppler to listen for the heartbeat. She couldn't find it at first, and I'm pretty sure MY heart wasn't beating during those seconds before she found the baby.

The baby sounded fine, so she checked my cervix. It was closed and "still nice and thick and long" so she told us that there was probably no problem. She said that ladies who have a sensitive cervix like I do can start bleeding for no apparent reason (even if the cervix hasn't been "disturbed" like it was last time I was bleeding).

Then the midwife reviewed my ultrasound results and saw that I am at risk for placenta previa. She said that the blood could be from that, too. Between my sensitive cervix and my low-lying placenta, she said that she was nearly certain that everything would be okay.

Then she put us on pelvic rest again. For the next 6 weeks!!!!!!!

Husband couldn't resist asking, "I get what you mean when you say pelvic rest, but what EXACTLY can't we do?" She said, "No penetration. Some people say no sex of any kind. In theory, if she has an orgasm, the contractions could disturb her cervix or even her placenta and start the bleeding again. But I think that just no intercourse is okay."

So, Baby, you scared the bejeezus out of me, then got me banned from sex for 6 weeks. I will always love you no matter what... But maybe you could try to make this a little easier on me?

No comments:

Post a Comment