Saturday, November 7, 2009

Having Kids Around When You're Pregnant

Husband and I are foster parents. Right now, we have one 3 year old placed with us, and he has been here since before the pregnancy.

Last night, Foster Son came down with a fever. It got up to about 102.6. Husband and I were up until after 1:00 am with him, since he couldn't sleep and kept waking up.

Have I ever mentioned that I'm tired a lot? And I feel at least slightly sick pretty much all of the time? I felt horrible for Foster Son, and Husband and I did everything we could for him. There was a part of me, though, that just wanted to lock myself in my bedroom and put ear plugs in. I didn't want to get sick. I wanted to go to bed. I'm pretty sure that every parent eventually feels this on some level when their kids are ill, and I'd bet money that pregnant ladies who already have small children feel this more often and more passionately than they would care to admit.

Of course, my selfish impulses were overwhelmed by my love for Foster Son. He climbed into our bed for a while, we rubbed his back, gave him medicine and cold washcloths on his forehead, and sat with him on his bed until he fell asleep for good.

I tried to send Baby telepathic messages, "I hope you don't feel that I am putting you at risk. It's just that you aren't the only person I'm responsible for right now, and I have to do my best at taking care of both of you. I'll go straight to the doctor if my temperature starts to rise. Don't worry, Baby, everything will be okay."

Having kids around when you're pregnant has so many positives and negatives. What could be cuter than when Foster Son kisses my belly? And what could be worse than being woken up at 5:00 am to Foster Son "whispering" in my ear, "Are you AWAAAAAAAAAAAKE? Wake up! I want some cereal! CEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL!"

No comments:

Post a Comment