Monday, August 24, 2009

The Day The Doctor Confirmed My Pregnancy

Back to the story of how I discovered that I'm pregnant...

Recap: I'd taken a pregnancy test around 9:00 pm on July 21st and it was really, really faintly positive. Husband and I decided to go to the doctor the next day to confirm the pregnancy.

Well, I woke up the next morning and took a digital pregnancy test, just to see. The digital ones leave nothing to interpretation. The screen just says "pregnant" or "not pregnant" when the test is done. Our foster son was up early that morning, so Husband and I didn't have a private moment to take the test and read the results together. While husband got our little guy dressed, I took the test. It came back "pregnant." Not wanting to alert our foster son as to what was going on, I started singing the Dora the Explorer song that goes, "We did it! We did it! We did it! Yeah!" Husband was very excited.

I called my doctor that morning and made an appointment for that afternoon. Husband came with me to the appointment. We waited FOREVER in the waiting room, because ours was the last appointment of the day and they were behind schedule. Finally, they let me go pee in a cup. Eventually we got called into a room.

The doctor walked in and said, "Well, you ARE pregnant. Congratulations..."

She gave me a talk about still being able to exercise, but maybe not doing risky things like rollerskating. She said that 30% of early pregnancies end in miscarriage. Eat well. Don't smoke. Don't drink. The typical stuff. On the way out, she gave me some paperwork to go get my blood drawn, so they could check my hormone levels and tell me how far along I am.

Husband and I decided to tell just our sisters and our parents. We tried to get everyone to Skype with us that night, but it proved impossible. We knew that they'd all be very surprised because we'd been telling people for years that we were not likely to ever have biological children. Pregnancy has never appealed to me-- it's just never been something that I WANTED to do. Husband and I have always wanted children, however, and so we first got approved to be adoptive parents through the state foster care system, and then became foster parents with the hopes of being able to eventually adopt. Our families knew that kids were on the horizon, but not biological kids.

We really wanted to be able to see everyone's face when we told them the news. But our sisters couldn't Skype that night. After work, Husband called his sister. She was surprised and didn't quite believe him at first. Then we went to my sister's house. She was NOT especially surprised... but she was the only one. Leaving my sister's house, I called my other sister. She sounded happy about the news.

That night, we Skyped our parents. We called my parents first. When we told them they gasped. They were very happy. Then we called Husband's dad. When Husband said, "Wife and I are pregnant," there was a long pause. Then a surprised look, once it registered. The same thing happened when we called Husband's mom. It was funny how they both seemed to have to think about it before it made sense. The parents were all beside themselves with happiness, though. I wish that we'd done screen shots of their faces, to show them later. It was pretty awesome.

It was a very happy day.

1 comment:

  1. haha, your sis is never surprised about anything!!!

    for what it's worth, i was thrown for a loop (is that the proper expression?).

    ReplyDelete