Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Night I Found Out That I'm Pregnant

In July I got this weird sort of half-period. It wasn't "implantation bleeding" like you can read about on the internet. It wasn't a few beautiful spots of pink blood around the time my period should have arrived. I had five days of gross brown blood. Not quite as heavy as a period, but nothing to be ignored, either.

I got suspicious, though, because: 1) I had gotten that random urinary tract infection, 2) the blood never turned red, like a normal period, and 3) it was lighter than my periods usually are. So I decided to go ahead and take a pregnancy test. Why not? Might as well rule out the easiest thing to rule out, I told myself. I didn't even tell my husband I was going to take one. In fact, I'd decided that if I WAS pregnant, I wouldn't even tell him that day. I would go to the store the next morning, buy a card, write "Happy Father's Day" inside, and surprise him with the news during our lunch break at work. I knew he'd be very excited if I was pregnant, and I knew I would need some time for it to sink in before I could fully process it.

Well, Husband tells me around 9:00 pm on July 21st that he's going to go take a shower. So I run into the other bathroom, take the pregnancy test, and wait for the required 3 minutes, staring at the little window all the while to see if a pink line shows up.

The watch beeps and the faintest little line has appeared. Crap. What does that mean? I look at the instructions for the pregnancy test and they say something like "The test line and the pregnancy indicator line may not be the same color." Okay. But what if the pregnancy indicator line is only barely there? What if they're no where NEAR the same color???

All of my plans to surprise my husband with the results of the test fly right out of my brain. I am frantic to understand what is going on. I run to the other bathroom and bang on the door. Husband throws the door open, thinking something is seriously wrong. "What? What?" I tell him that I need him to look at something and take him to the other bathroom where I hand him the pregnancy test. "Do you see two lines or one?" I ask. "Umm... looks like two." He starts smiling immediately. "Are you sure? Its really faint," I say. "Yeah," he says, "But I see two."

I always assumed that if I ever took a pregnancy test and it was positive I would cry. For joy or sorrow or whatever, but I would cry. Instead, I just stood there. It seemed incredibly unreal.

We agreed that we would go to the doctor the next day, just to make sure that we read the test right.

No comments:

Post a Comment