Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First Clue I Might Be Pregnant

My last real menstrual cycle started on June 22. Doctors count the baby's gestational date from the start of the mother's last period, even though the baby isn't conceived for about another 2 weeks.

Around July 9th or so, I started to get a urinary tract infection. I've had them before, so I know right away what it is when I get one, but I'm usually already kind of sick when I get one and this time it was just out of the blue. "That's strange," I said to myself, bought some Azo, and went on with my life. By Sunday July 12th the infection wasn't clearing up on its own and it was getting worse, so I went to a walk-in clinic.

They had me pee into a cup. When the doctor walked in she said, "Well, you're not pregnant. But you DO have an infection..." As she talked on, I glanced over at a calendar on the wall and did some quick counting. "Well, even if I were pregnant, she wouldn't be able to detect it yet. Hey. Maybe that's why I got this infection. Pregnant ladies are more prone to UTIs," I thought to myself.

And that was the first time that a doctor incorrectly told me that I'm not pregnant.

2 comments:

  1. I remember once you tried to convince a doctor you had toxic shock syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always been a bit of a hypochondriac, haven't i?

    ReplyDelete