Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In Through The Out Door

I was prescribed anti-nausea medicine yesterday. Yay, right? Well, like everything that's happened so far in this pregnancy, there's a small wrinkle.

First I was prescribed this pill that they give chemo patients to prevent nausea. It worked great. BUUUUUUUT my insurance company will only pay for 6 pills per 25 days. I'm supposed to take 2 pills each day, every day. Without insurance, the pills are $11 each! This makes me kind of mad. 6 pills per month? I'm about to bring a new life into this world-- one that will need an insurance policy-- and the insurance company can't help me out long enough so that I don't have to be hospitalized for dehydration? They'd save themselves some money by just covering the stupid pills.

Anyway, I called back to speak with my nurse and the doctor prescribed an alternative medicine. It has more side effects (including hallucinations and a "heightened sense of well-being"), it's less effective, I have to take it about 4 times a day... and it's a suppository.

It works okay. Not as well as the other. Really, though, I'll take just about anything right now. I couldn't eat very much yesterday, but I'm just so thrilled that I didn't throw up.

No comments:

Post a Comment