Monday, October 18, 2010

Adoption Recruitment Event

I got an email a few weeks ago about an event where prospective adoptive parents can meet kids in the foster care system who have already had their parental rights terminated and who are waiting to be adopted. I had heard about these kind of events before, but Husband and I had never attended one. We decided to go see what it was all about.

The event was held in a family-style arcade. First, the prospective adoptive parents went to an orientation. The organizations putting on the event told us about themselves, then we got a quick FAQ presentation about how the day would unfold. One of the speakers talked about how some of the older kids in attendance had been to these events many, many times and didn't want to go to them any more because they were tired of being disappointed and feeling like no one wants them. At the time, I let those words wash over me and tried not to think about them too hard. Now, they haunt me and make me want to cry. I can't even begin to imagine that feeling. They've already suffered terrible abuse and then they are made to feel like they aren't good enough to have a permanent, loving family. Ouch! My heart!

Each adoptive family was put into one of three groups, and the waiting children were divided into three groups by age. Little kids, tweens, and teenagers. The families "visited" with each age group and participated in ice breaker games that got the adults and children interacting with each other. The event coordinators did a really good job with this part of the day.

After that, everyone was given some free passes to play video games. It was another opportunity to interact with the kids. Afterward, they served lunch before the event ended.

We talked with a lot of kids-- mostly older kids, actually. We've inquired about a few of them. Who knows. Right now I'm still reeling from the emotions I have at seeing so many kids waiting for a chance at unconditional love and permanancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment