Saturday, October 23, 2010

Plum Baby Food

Peeled, chopped, steamed, and pureed Elise some plums today. She liked them. She always likes fruit.

I want to let her taste every interesting fruit I see. I just don't know when it's safe to introduce most of it. It's easy to find information about when the best time to introduce bananas to a baby's diet is, but star fruit and lychee are trickier. I'm sure I can figure it out if I look hard enough, but that makes it more difficult to be spontaneous at the grocery store.

When Bo lived with us, I often enjoyed giving him new fruits to try. He loved fruit and he'd already tasted most of the basics, but I always liked giving him something such as kiwi and then seeing his face go from a look of skepticism to one of pure joy.

Elise doesn't really get delighted by food yet. I know she likes something because she'll eat it very fast and she'll hold her mouth open for the next bite. I guess that's what adults do, too. You like something so you keep eating it. That's why the peach cobbler ice cream in my freezer is nearly gone.

2 comments:

  1. Plums are what Andy tried today! Unfortunately, I am not good at picking out plums and the grocery store employee in the produce section was not that great either. Hence, my plums were sour. I tried them first and thought, "Too sour!" but I still offered them to Andy. He's a good sport. He made a horrible face but ate 3 spoonfuls. I stopped torturing him after that and gave him some applesauce. By the way, I am never eating pre-packaged applesauce again. The homemade stuff is 1000 times better and so easy to make.

    In other food news, Andy had rice and beans the other night. Chris and I were having real rice and beans (a Mexican recipe), so we thought it would be funny to mix up some green beans and rice cereal for Andy to eat at the same time. I think it's one of his favorites. He gobbled it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought Elise's plums tasted kind of tart, but she liked them anyway.

    and i tooooooootally agree about the applesauce. YUM! especially with gala apples, because they are so sweet. naturally sweet.

    ReplyDelete