Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day Care Nightmare

A little baby died recently at a day care center in my city. From the charges that were filed and the description of the baby's injuries, my guess is that the worker walked away for a second while the baby was on a changing table or something and it rolled off. An accident, but totally preventable. How horrible.

Although I've worked at a day care center, and we've used a couple of different ones for the foster kids, the center where the incident took place was not one that I'm familiar with. Thank goodness.

I went to day care when I was little. I survived. I know that bad things don't usually happen like that. But when I heard about that baby, I couldn't help but feel glad that I am able to stay home with Elise for now. It reminded me of when my lactation consultant told me about how she had to help a mother dry up her milk whose 2 month old baby had died during its FIRST DAY AT DAY CARE. She tells me this as I'm holding my tiny, days-old baby in my arms, crazy hormones still rushing around my post-partum body. If there had been any question about whether I'd go back to work after my maternity leave was over, that would have sealed the deal. Nope. No way. I was prepared to sit on the couch and cradle Elise until she started kindergarten after hearing that.

So check back with me in 5 years. If Elise is being home schooled, you'll know that I've heard one too many my-kid-was-hurt-at-school stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment