Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Beginning

Since I was a teenager, there were two things about me that any potential long-term partner needed to know. 1) I would not ever be changing my last name (unless my partner's last name was being changed, too), and 2) I planned to eventually adopt a child.

I've wanted to adopt since I was about 14 years old. There are adoptees in my family, but that's not why. The idea really clicked with me one day when I was being driven home from babysitting by the baby's father. We were talking about our siblings and the guy told me about his brother, adopted from Vietnam.

The father told me about how he was old enough to remember when his brother was adopted. How he remembers meeting him for the first time at the airport. And how it felt like he was always a part of their family and he couldn't imagine life without his little brother.

I knew from then on that I was meant to grow my family through adoption. When Husband and I talked about it, he admitted that adoption isn't something that he'd have sought on his own, but he was open to the idea.

Husband and I know that we want at least one more child. We became foster parents with the hope of adopting.

We'll get to adopt eventually-- just got to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment