Saturday, August 14, 2010

Home Study THIS

Once Husband and I decided that our path to adoption would be through the state foster care system, we had to do a WHOLE bunch of stuff to get approved to be adoptive parents. We had to take all of these classes and then have a home study done where a case manager checked out our house and also asked all about our marriage, our childhoods, etc, etc. We had to get fingerprinted and have background checks done. We had to get referrals from friends and family saying that we're decent people. Getting all of this stuff done took forever, partly because I was still in school at the time and partly because everything takes forever when you're dealing with a state agency.

Elise has the benefit of having her parents thoroughly checked out and approved to be parents before she was ever born. Not many kids get to say that!

We got approved to be adoptive parents at the end of August 2008. Now we wait for a match. Husband and I want to be matched with a relatively healthy child, age 5 or younger. So it's taking a long time because that's what everyone wants. We've gotten fairly far in the selection process on several occasions, but different things have happened to put obstacles in our way.

You know, even though I waited a long time to be a mommy, now that Elise is here, I know that she is sooooo worth the wait. I would wait another 10 years if I had to in order to get her just as she is. And so I know that when we finally get the chance to adopt, Husband and I will feel like it was worth the wait and all of the hassle that will have lead up to that moment. It's hard to be patient while you're still actually waiting-- but I know I'll be glad for it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment