Friday, August 6, 2010

Some Days Are Better Than Others

Today sucked.

I'm sick. But I'm a mom, so I have things to do.

One of those things was take my foster daughter to the doctor. Here, foster kids are supposed to be seen by a doctor within 48 hours of coming into care. We've had our new foster babies for over a week now. We were able to get the 3 month old to a doctor, but my foster daughter's insurance stuff is all messed up. I've been working on getting this problem straightened out since day one. Finally, I make an appointment at what I thought was the only doctor in the whole frickin' state who is able to see her. I get her ready first thing this morning and drive her (and Elise) to some rinkydink town over an hour away, only to be told upon our arrival that her messed up insurance messed up again and they can't accept the messed up insurance at the doctor's office.

In all fairness, the people at the doctor's office were super, super nice. It was not their fault.

I sat in the waiting room with a bored 22 month old and an even more bored Elise and proceeded to make phone call after phone call. Apparently no one who works for the state is obligated to come into work on Fridays. Bastards. No one who answered any of my phone calls could help me.

So finally, after a brief and hopefully somewhat quiet sob or two, I asked the doctor if they would just see my foster daughter anyway and let me pay for the visit out of my own pocket. They said yes and even reduced the price for me.

Then I realized that I forgot some of the paperwork I needed to bring with me. I had to call Husband and have him run home to get it and fax it to the doctor's office. It was a mess.

Did I mention that I feel like shit? Sore throat, swollen tonsils, sniffles, and a pounding headache.

So, I'm glad that today's over. Done. I'll deal with this insurance crap on Monday.

(The ladies at the doctor's office commented on what a good baby Elise is, so quiet and sweet. She is a good baby. I'm lucky. The ladies also commented on how much happier my foster daughter seemed compared to the last few visits she had made there with her mother. That made me feel good, like I was doing a good job caring for her. Every cloud has a silver lining, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment