Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Toddler Waldorf Salad

I had a bunch of apples recently and I wanted to use some of them up before they went bad. Didn't want to make applesauce. I wanted to try something new. Somehow I settled on Waldorf salad, which I've never made before, but only requires chopping and mixing so I felt confident that I could do it successfully.

The original recipe calls for mayonnaise and celery and stuff that I wasn't sure the kiddos would like, so I decided to modify it. Actually, yogurt is a common substitution for the mayonnaise, and that got me thinking about other substitutions I could make. Here is my new recipe for Toddler Waldorf Salad:

Whisk together 6 tablespoons vanilla yogurt (I used Yo Baby brand) and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Then add 2 chopped granny smith apples, 1 chopped pear (instead of celery), a couple of handfuls of quartered red grapes (Waldorf salad usually has raisins, but you can use grapes, too), and some crushed walnuts. I bought a bag of chopped walnuts and then crushed them smaller myself. Stir it all up, chill it in the fridge for a bit, and that's that.

Elise loved it. Kept asking for more and more. Henry wasn't too fond of the lemon flavor, so he didn't eat much. And Georgia will eat anything. But I enjoyed the flavor-- I would make it for myself. It's really just a stirred up fruit and yogurt parfait, I guess.

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment