Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Japanese Saying

Today while I was at the bookstore with Elise, I ended up chatting with a couple who is from Japan. They were there with their baby son and we were all in the kiddie section together. The mother, noticing my (huge) belly asked me if I knew what gender the next baby would be. I told her I'm having a boy.

"Oh, you're very lucky to have a girl first and then a boy!" the husband said.

"I think so too. I like it that way."

"There's a saying in Japan that it is lucky to have a girl first and then have a boy," the wife went on. "One of each with a girl first."

"Because it's good to have a older sister for the boy to look up to?" I asked.

"Not just that," she said, "but girls are stronger. Physically stronger. From birth. They have to be because they end up carrying the babies later. Their bodies are strong. They are easier to raise and they don't get sick as often as boys. It is much easier for the mother to have a girl first."

Interesting, Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment