Thursday, September 2, 2010

Baked Potato Baby Food

Another attempt at mommy-made baby food. We had baked potatoes for dinner tonight, so I threw an extra tater in the oven and saved it for Elise.

Not sure how well this will turn out. I took the skin (my favorite part!) off of Elise's potato and put it in the blender with some freshly expressed breast milk. I read that you can't refreeze breast milk ever for any reason, so I couldn't use any of the milk I already had in the freezer to make the potatoes since I would be freezing the pureed potatoes for later. Anyway, the texture of the pureed baked potato was weird-- kind if thick-- so when I thaw it, I think that I'll have to mix it with a lot more milk. Or some water. But I'll probably use milk since white potatoes are already kind of lacking in the vitamins and nutrients department.

Husband didn't understand at first why I would even WANT to make Elise white potato baby food. White potatoes just aren't as good for you as lots of other vegetables. But 1) I want Elise to be exposed to all kinds of healthy food and 2) I was already making us potatoes, so I might as well make her some, too.

I left the butter, sour cream, and fake bacon strips out, though. Sorry, Elise.

1 comment:

  1. You have quite the restaurant operation going. All we've done is purchase baby oatmeal. We'll try that with breast milk first. But I've got all sorts of ideas now from reading your posts. I heard that babies love sweet potatoes. And I read that fish is really healthy for babies' little brains, so I'll puree some salmon or tilapia eventually. Maybe after we try some bananas and papaya and avocados and other squishier things first. I can sense that Andy is getting ready for solids. He always moves his mouth and lips and makes smacking noises when he watches us eat.

    ReplyDelete