Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Swarm

Today when we were out Elise got swarmed by three little girls. They looked 7, 8, and 9-ish. The girls wanted to "pet" the baby. And they did. They pet her hair and her arms and they lifted up her dress and looked at her belly.

Little girls are weird. Was I weird like that? Probably not. I was around littler kids often enough that I don't remember being fascinated by them. In fact, I probably had the opposite reaction. More of a "hide before someone makes me change its diaper or look after it" sort of reaction.

One thing that I hear a lot from little girls is, "I like your baby!" It's equal parts cute and strange. I think what they usually mean is more along the lines of "I like that there is a baby right here for me to look at" and has not so much to do with Elise as an individual. I like your baby. Do they look at other babies and think, "I don't like that one"?

Today, Elise was asleep in her stroller and a little boy coming the other direction said, "That baby's not real." His mom assured him that Elise is a real baby. But she DOES look like a little doll when she's sleeping. I can see where the confusion came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment