Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Yellow Squash Baby Food

Made some yellow squash baby food tonight. I consider this the least successful of my baby food ventures so far.

I took two yellow squash and peeled them, sliced them, steamed them, and put them through my baby food hand grinder. I peeled them because I read that the peel is hardest for babies to digest and that they might have trouble with it until they are about 8 months old. I'm sure that the peel must be where most of the vitamins and nutrients are... I'll leave the peel on next yellow squash baby food batch.

Two yellow squash doesn't make very much baby food, FYI. That is another failing of my work tonight. I'll use at least 4 squash to make a batch of baby food in the future.

I'm trying to learn to enjoy the process of the things that I do and not just the end result. I think I'll be happier if I can learn to enjoy the process, too. So, with that in mind, it's OKAY that the squash didn't turn out quite as I expected. I LEARNED from the experience and everything will be even BETTER next time. (Blah blah blah bullshit bullshit... I hate it when things aren't perfect the first time through and I am often discouraged from doing it again if the result is too different from my expectations... BUT! sometimes you have to trick yourself into a better way of thinking. And I will keep lying to myself about how much I enjoy the process of making baby food for as long as necessary... or until Elise is on to finger foods.)

So, we've got applesauce, green beans, yellow squash, avocado and banana can be mashed up on the spot, and the rice cereal we have is instant. I want to make carrots, too, but I read that they don't freeze well, so I'll have to make those within a few days of feeding them to Elise. That should be about a month's worth of variety.

Next, Elise gets to EAT all of my great food!

No comments:

Post a Comment