Saturday, May 22, 2010

Other Peoples' Birth Stories: My Aunt

I vaguely remember one of my aunts telling a group of lady relatives about her experience when she had her first child. She told this story over 10 years ago, so I'm totally paraphrasing.

She must have given birth for the first time during the mid-60s or so. Well, she went into labor while my uncle was at work-- he might even have been out of town, I can't remember. Either way, he didn't go with her to the hospital. At the hospital, they gave her drugs for the pain of labor. According to my aunt, the drugs they gave her made her super loopy. She said that the drugs were an unpleasant experience-- that was the point of the story, be glad for the better drugs that they have now.

Anyhow, my uncle arrived at the hospital, after the medication had been administered. He went in to see my aunt, but he'd gotten a haircut that day and because the medication had made her so out of it, my aunt didn't recognize him. She freaked out. "Who is that man in my room?!?" And she wouldn't believe it was her husband. They had to kick him out of the room immediately.

I'm so thankful that doctors don't use those kinds of drugs anymore. Of course, labor itself made me as mad as a hatter, but at least I could recognize my own husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment