Friday, May 7, 2010

So Soon?

Why, why, why?

I think I have my period back already. I had really light bleeding for three days.

Damn it!

I thought I would have 9 months of pregnancy plus at least several months of breastfeeding to keep "Aunt Flo" away. But noooooooo. My body is determined to bleed. I had spotting during my pregnancy and despite breastfeeding exclusively AND being on the mini pill, I'm now resuming my menstrual cycle.

WTF?

I thought to myself, "Don't women who breastfeed exclusively usually not get their period for a while?" I'm not using any formula. I'm not even pumping and using bottles. Everytime Elise wants to eat, she goes to my breast. Nature should have kicked in and said, "Oh, I see you already have a baby... no more babies for you! Let's put a hold on ovulation for a while."

I looked it up, to see when breastfeeding moms usually get their period back. I read that women who breatfeed exclusively usually resume their menstrual cycle 6 months to a year after giving birth. But it has been reported that in some cases women have gotten them back as early as 6 weeks. So its not common to get your menstrual cycle back that quickly.

Well, I went a whole 8 weeks.

I said to Husband the other night, "I feel weird. Kind of PMS-y. My tummy feels weird and I feel all emotional for no reason." The next morning, the bleeding started.

Damn it! It's not fair!

1 comment:

  1. The minipill has progesterone. So when you take the placebo pills, you have progesterone withdrawal, which is what causes periods. My mom breastfed me and was using condoms but got pregnant when I was 3 months old. So if you stop the minipill to avoid a period, you may not do so well at avoiding pregnancy . . .

    ReplyDelete