Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Turn That Frown Upside Down

I cleared out my office at work. That's it. I'm done. And it was kind of sad for me.

Where is this silly emotion coming from?

I read that women are most susceptable to post-partum depression during months 2 to 4 after delivery. Elise is 10 weeks old now. I think I have some mild post-partum sadness. I mean, I have legitimate reasons to be sad (quitting work, Foster Son going home soon, etc) but I'm dealing with my feelings in very counter-productive ways. Like not getting changed out of my pajamas all day.

Elise makes me so happy-- I look at her and my heart bubbles over with joy. So I don't think I need to seek help or anything. I'm not overwhelmed by depression. There's just a underlying current of sadness to my life right now. And I'm trying to be all Tao Te Ching about it and tell myself that if I don't balance the amazing goodness of Elise with a little bit of life's badness, I won't be able to see the contrast and recognize how incredibly, wonderfully happy my sweet baby makes me. If I were super happy all the time, then I wouldn't be super happy, really. Super happy would become the new baseline.

Or some such bullshit.

Oh, and I read an article about how dads get post-partum depression, too. They're most likely to get it between months 3 and 6 post-partum. The fact that daddies get it too makes researchers think that post-partum depression for women might not only be because of changes in hormones. Interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment