Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bottoms Up!

My 30 week check-up went well yesterday. While I was there, I asked the midwife if she could tell what position the baby is in. The midwife poked and squeezed at my belly and told me that Elise is head down and will probably stay that way. Yay!

I told Foster Son that the baby is upside down in my belly, thinking that he would find it amusing.

"She's UPSIDE DOWN?!? On her HEAD? We have to help her sit on her bottom!"

Here's the thing. Foster Son often gets reminded to sit on his bottom while he's on the couch, because he's forever doing headstands against the seat while he watches TV. I kind of forgot that he might think of the baby being upside down as a cause for concern. Since I don't plan to explain vaginal birth to a 3 year old, it was time to think fast.

"It's okay if she's not sitting on her bottom right now. She's just a little baby and she doesn't understand."

"But she's doing a headstand. Let's help her put her bottom down."

"Um... the doctor said it's okay. That's how little babies grow inside of their mommies. When she comes out, we'll help her sit the right way."

Parenting a toddler sometimes feels like nothing more than a secret contest to tell the best little white lie humanly possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment